The importance of sleep requires no explanation. Sleep is something that is of utmost importance in your life. If your body fails to meet the sleep requirements it seeks, this will definitely affect your mental health as well as physical health. The mattress you sleep on is a major factor that will define and affect your sleep pattern.
If your mattress is not made of the right foam, if it does not give you that comfort, or if it gets too old and damaged, it is more than enough to ruin your whole sleep pattern. In this article, you get to know some interesting and effective strategies that will help you in choosing the right mattress that will ensure you a good sleep.
Is Your Mattress Dirty? Call Us Today.
Guide to choosing your mattress
There are a number of reasons for you to go out hunting for a mattress. There are cases where you can simply avail the service of professional mattress cleaners to get your mattress cleaned and sanitized. This will revamp the state of your mattress and restore its freshness. But if your mattress is damaged beyond repair and is more than 10 – 12 years old, then we suggest you get yourself a new mattress.
1. By Firmness Check Methods
The most important factor when it comes to choosing your mattress is obviously comfort. But yet again comfort too is a very subjective element. A bad that is comfortable for one, might cause discomfort for another. Therefore it is important that one prioritize the firmness they seek while choosing a mattress. This can be also determined according to your preferred sleeping positions.
- People who choose to sleep on their stomachs are often recommended to choose a mattress that is firm enough. This is because a firm mattress can help in aligning your spinal cord.
- The ones who prefer to sleep on their back are recommended to opt for a mattress of medium firmness. This is to ensure the right support to your spinal cord along with keeping your neck and back in comfortable postures.
- To all the side sleepers, softer mattresses will help you support the curves of your body as you lie down, thus providing the right contour positions to help you sleep sound.
2. By the Material and Type
The fabric that makes up your mattress is something that will play a major role in determining the comfort levels you get from your mattress. Some people might even be allergic to certain fabrics. So figure out which fabric is the best for your comfort preferences. Let us take a look at some materials that make up your fabric.
- Innerspring Coils – These are the most traditional mattresses and also one of the most affordable ones on the market. Innerspring coil beds are quite durable and often last for decades-long. Since they are made up of springs, they allow air to circulate through them helping in keeping the temperatures down and thus helps cooling down. Therefore one who wants a cooling bed that is affordable and durable, you know which one to choose.
- Latex Bed – Latex mattresses are the best option for people who want to receive the best cooling experience and comfort. Latex is also quite responsive and bouncy in nature. They also do not carry much odor and gassing too.
- Memory Foam – Memory foam is known for its capability of supporting your entire body and providing the right support. But do keep in mind that memory foam retains heat therefore those who are looking out for cooling effects in the mattress, stay away from this type. But if pressure reliefs, contour, shaping, and support is what you are looking for, this is perfect.
- Hybrid – This is a combination of memory foam along with traditional spring mattresses. This will help to contour your body and support through the springs. This will ensure support, pressure relief along with bouncy texture, and cooling properties for your mattress.
It is often observed that the manufacturers of high-quality mattresses are less hesitant towards offering a warranty for a longer term. Many times the top-quality sleep system comes with a minimum warranty of 10 years. Anything that exceeds this usual warranty time period is said to be a sign of extra quality and confidence. Anything less than that is often considered to be a red flag signaling the wary consumer to look at another brand or model.
But keep in mind, a warranty period is not necessarily a guarantee of how long a mattress will last, however, nor is it intended to indicate when you should replace it. It depends on how the mattress is used and the environment in which it is located. A warranty is often in place to protect you from product or design defects.
Call us now for a better mattress cleaning.
4. Trial Check
This method might sound conventional but it is still one of the best ways to see if the mattress is of your comfort and interest. Very much like your try on a new outfit, put mattresses to the proper test. Try lying down and moving like you would during a normal night’s sleep. If you have a partner, you can even ask them to do the same with you. Try lying in bed further away from your partner and seeing if you can feel when he moves or turns completely over and gets on and off the bed. Sit on the ledge to test the edge brace. If you sleep on your side, lie on your side. Then lie on your back. Place your hand under the curve of your back. There should not be a space. The mattress should be in line with the curve of your back. If it just isn’t right for you in the store, you are unlikely to feel comfortable when you get home.
5. The Checklist Check
- Try moving around and test every pressure point, especially your natural sleep position and check if they really support your comfortable positions (including hips, shoulders, knees).
- Lay down on the mattress and make sure that the surface accommodates your weight making you feel resilient
- Sharing the mattress with a friend of yours while visiting the store. One partner rolls over onto the side and/or back-lying position, while the other lies still; does the mattress shake and shift or remain stable and still.
- Roll to outer margins, sit on mattress edges to see if the edges support your weight the same as at the center of the mattress and the sides of the sleep surface sagging, or if they are reinforced and firm.
These are few factors that will help you in choosing the right kind of mattress for you. Choosing a mattress is no simple process. Sleep is what will define your mood and state of mind for an entire day. Therefore it is important that you do not jump to conclusions while selecting a mattress. Always conduct your research and study including the market trends. Do not choose the cheapest mattress options, a mattress is not an investment but a necessity.